Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Getting Older

It's trite. "Time Flies." "They grow up so fast." "It seems like just yesterday." All of them. Trite. We need a new phrase that holds the magnitude of what these statements mean.

Today our oldest started middle school, our middle 4th grade and our youngest 2nd. I have been trying to find the words to describe what I am feeling.

I told a friend today that I started having kids at age 12 ... I meant that I felt too young to have a "tween." It was the wrong description. I know because of the blank stare.

How about:
  • I cried today because I realized I embarrassed my child, by just being seen with her
  • I thought by sharing the memories of my first day of 6th grade would be a bonding experience with my child. It wasn't; she didn't relate to my story about my new "Jessica McClintock" jumper that I wore on my first day of school.
  • I sang along to one of their favorite songs on the ipod, they stopped singing.

It's OK. I know I did it to my Mom, too. I guess I should see it as a right of passage. They still said prayers with us tonight. They still kissed us goodnight. They still told us they loved us.

Oh, If Only I Could Freeze Time.... I know.... trite.

No comments:

Post a Comment